MAKE AMERICA SIMPLE AGAIN
The man-child president’s supporters mean all manner of things when they chant “Make America great again,” some as obvious as, “Get all these Mexicans out of my 7-11 parking lot,” and some more complicated, entailing tangled ideas of dark global conspiracies and nefarious plots by NBC and CNN.
My hunch is that many of these people — my fellow Americans whom I cannot understand no matter how much I argue with them on Twitter — just want to return to a simpler time.
A time when it was easier to maintain the illusion of control in your life.
- A time when you turned on the TV and there were only four channels and you knew the four newscasters by name and they were all trustworthy white men;
- a time before the world was complicated by all those international agreements and organizations with acronyms that don’t tell you who they are or what they do;
- a time before electronics began running our lives, adding even more incomprehensible acronyms like USB and URL and HTML to confuse us;
- a time when a man could open up the hood of his car and know where everything was;
- a time before kids took semesters abroad and went far away to college and came home for Thanksgiving staring into their phones and declaring that they weren’t going to church with you on Sunday.
Rebellion Against Reality
I get it. I do. Life is very complicated now. I feel out of control most of the time.
I remember that simpler time, and you are right — it was easier.
I understand why you rebel against “experts” who talk about ridiculous, incomprehensible things like humans changing the weather, for Christ’s sake! And I get why you reject the idea of being “politically correct.” It means you need to pay attention to other people who aren’t like you, and listen to (and care about) their experiences. Even though you were here first and they should learn to speak English. Why can’t we just call a maid a maid and a trash man a trash man and a retarded person retarded and a colored person colored?
There are too many voices, too many opinions, too many options. Too many uppity women marching around in pink pussy hats, and you just don’t understand how they can act like that and say those terrible things.
Focus, Deep Breaths
So here is something simple to remind you of the days when you thought America was great, only you didn’t know it then but you sure do now.
Just focus on the Bible. Keep it simple. Take deep breaths.
Here are two verses to meditate on. Oh, no, wait. Not meditate, that sounds kinda Buddhist or something.
Just *think* about them. Maybe pray. Perhaps they will stir in you an image of what America *could* be.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:22)
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.
** A disclaimer: I know this post is a tad snarky. I’m still working towards understanding and forgiveness and those fruits of the Spirit. Give me time. I am still angry. I mean, the Doomsday Clock.